Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Ex-eggs


Sadly, this was the best shot I got of the two eggs previously laid in the junco nest.  The one on the left is less speckly - in my memory, it was entirely unspeckled. But of course, I could be mistaken.

Update, 15 minutes later...


Inspired by a continuing lack of nesting action, I took a closer look in the pot where the nest is, and lo, right beside it, I found the "blue" egg!  It's smaller and rounder than any of the other eggs, with a whiter section around one end - is it a dud?  I wonder if Katie of toughlittlebirds.com knows? :)  Do many junco nests have this kind of anomalous egg?  And did a cowbird kick it out of the nest before laying her own eggs?

If I remove the cowbird eggs, will the juncos come back and reclaim the nest?  It's at least 10 days since the eggs were laid, there's no chance of them being viable any more, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment