Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Roast chicken

This is a recent favourite at our house.  It's my take on someone else's take of a blog post based on a restaurant dish from San Francisco - not a restaurant I've ever tried, mind you.

So here's my vaguely Zuni-esque roast chicken!

Start with a small chicken.  They're difficult to find, at least for me, around here - the shops all have 4 or 5 pounders.  So I just get the smallest I can and don't worry to much about it.  I also prefer a fresh (not frozen) one, just to cut down on thawing time.  Take it out of the package and put it on a plate, then salt and pepper liberally, in and out.   If you like, put some herbs under the skin - tarragon, rosemary, marjoram, or whatever.  Don't cover it, and put it in the fridge for a day or two.  Or three.

Preheat the oven to 475F, and bung in a cast iron pan that your chook will fit in to preheat too.  Put the chicken in breast side up for 30ish minutes, until the skin becomes light golden all over.  Then use a flat spatula to reach under and flip over the bird; cook the other side up for 15ish minutes, again til golden.  Flip back for the last 10 minutes or so to recrisp the skin on top.

Lovely moist chicken, lovely crisp skin!  I like to rest for 10 minutes while I make a salad with lots of croutons (I keep all the bread heels in the freezer), pine nuts, currants, green onions or shallots, and whatever greens are in the fridge, with a tangy vinaigrette.  My latest combo was rocket (arugula), mint and cabbage, delish.  Then carve the chook and put pieces on top of the salad.  

Also, make sure to reserve the drippings, delicious to cook potatoes in!

No comments:

Post a Comment